In March 1947, nearly 200 acres of land, locally known as Old Drake Place, were purchased from Mr. and Mrs. B.C. Pope for $10,000. A 9-hole course featuring sand greens was soon laid out. Shortly after, topsoil was brough in and the first grass greens in Lee County were constructed behind the existing sand greens.
Soon, road scrapers were brought in, rocks were removed, and fairways were laid out and designed. In late April 1947, the course was first opened for play. A small house on the property was used as the first clubhouse and pro shop while a grass practice green was constructed in the front yard.
In June, a dam was built to build a large 10-arce lake. As the country celebrated the nation’s birthday on July 4, 1947, Saugahatchee County Club hosted its first tournament.
Two years later in June 1949, club members circulated a letter that proposed the construction of a new clubhouse. Financing was soon secured, and construction began. The new clubhouse opened on July 4, 1950. The club continued to grow as a second nine holes were opened in 1951. A new swimming pool was finished in 1957.
In the 1970s, Saugahatchee Country Club began to work on moving to a new location and building a bigger and better course. The new location opened in 1976 with an 18-hole course. Saugahatchee has enjoyed the new location and course to this day, changing very little since opening day.
The current clubhouse underwent large renovation projects in 1996 and again in May 2010
In 2013, the 18-hole golf course underwent an intensive $1.2 million renovation to best accommodate the new advancement in golf ball and club technology. The design of the greens were changed and the amount of sand on the course was decreased, among other changes. Award-winning designer Kris Spence led the project.
Currently, Saugahatchee Country Club has 18 holes of golf, practice facilities, swimming pool, fitness center, lighted tennis courts, formal and casual dining facilities, two bars, and a ballroom that will seat 200 diners.